My piece in Thieves Jargon is up. The design of the website looks awesome as usual. And it's Thieves Jargon 187; how rad is that? And Dave Housely, one of the Barrelhouse folks is up there. I'm not one of those folks who enjoys logging every single rejection and complaining about 'wah u dont like my work and therefore u dont like me as a person wah' like (scarily) a lot of folks on the Internet do (there's this thing called a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, folks...keep it on your harddrive) but I will say that I did get the second nicest rejection letter EVER from Dave. The best rejection letter I ever received was from Kim Liao over at Redivider, who was the one who told me to send to Thieves Jargon! So, anytime a rejection letter can get you a publication elsewhere, well, that's probably the best rejection letter you could ever ask for. Unless maybe they sent you a cupcake in the mail too. That'd be pretty great. And then you could speculate if it's a positive rejection or negative rejection depending on what type of cupcake you received.
I guess people need to remember sometimes that these literary journals are not nameless machines; they're operated by people just like you who are trying to get their stuff published, just like you. And these people are proud of their journals and google their names to see what press their journals are getting, and will come across your website with you acting childish about who you were rejected by and they'll remember your name the next time you submit something. Sure, I have 'personal vendettas' against what my friends and I like to refer to as 'nemesis journals', but that's more in the spirit of things. And when you do finally get into those journals it's like conquering some great beast...wherein actuality, some cool people liked your stuff enough to think that it'd represent their publication properly.
Speaking of rejection, I'm currently printing out my book to send out to Greywolf Press; it's already at FC2. Get psyched ladies and gentlemen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Looks great! (Reads better.) And yes, down with blog-whining. Approached correctly, all nemeses fall. The fates do have precision, after all: Clotho to spin, Lachesis to measure, and Atropos to cut cut cut the thread--
I also send cupcakes, sometimes..... how did you know?? (Typically not for rejection letters, but for atonement of certain sins when only a large mouthful of moist cake and cloyingly sweet icing will do.) Congrats again!
Post a Comment